Monday, July 28, 2008

THE SALVATION ARMY AFRICAN DANCE CONCERT

For two weeks, I volunteered at my home church of the Salvation Army. There I taught the church youth my African Dance Concert. It was my mission to inspire the youth. Also, my mission should be the shared responsibility of the churches, the educational system, and especially the parents. Unfortunately, I believe we all have failed the youth. In result, these kids are spiritually dying.

The kids I inspire are kids that are left behind. In reality, nobody has paid attention to these kids. I believe the main reason is because their parents are not financial blessed. So they are left with the belief that they cannot be anything in this world.

All around the world there are kids like the Salvation Army youth. The youth I had come across are an inspiration to me. The kid that received the Best All-Around award shouted out in church, “I want to be an artist.” Why was he selected for the Best All-Around award? It was because of among many other things. He volunteered to be responsible for getting everyone to dance class. Then, I had my businessman kid. He had to make sure everything was perfect. I had my questions girl. She made sure that I was the real deal. Her dream was to be a pediatrician. I have Ms. Graceful; she was born to be a star.

Today, I left these kids with one belief. I told them they are going to have to take their own responsibility to accomplish their dreams. I told them to look out for each other because nobody else would do it. My best all around kid will go with me to the top dance school in Beaufort, SC to audition for their dance program. The director said if he does well she will possible wavier the dance classes price.

Unfortunately, even though their bake sale will raise money for gas money, he will probably not get a chance for someone to drive him to dance class. But, he will get the chance to experience a real dance audition. In his eyes, that was all he wanted.

I am sad to leave these kids. However, this has even fueled me even more for my further studies of African dance in South Africa. I am making a promise to myself to learn everything so I could open my own place of inspiration for the kids.

In this world, I have learned to be patient and with my patience I could start my ultimate mission in life the right way. Fortunately, I have the support of my family and friends to do anything I want to do.