Friday, July 18, 2008

Dear God,

On Thursday night, I realized how close my arrival to South Africa was and how I am going to miss everything in America. Out of everything, I will miss my family. Just tonight, my brother and I had come back from watching Will Smith’s new movie called “Hancock”. On the car ride back home, I realized my brother and I are truly growing up. In August, he will be leaving the house to go to college and I will be leaving to go to South Africa. Why South Africa? Well…it was your plan for me and I took this blessing seriously. As you know, I am from Beaufort, SC but my roots come from Zimbabwe. All my life, I have danced and it took me places that I only dreamt about. I earned my Bachelor of Arts degrees in Dance and Communications at Coker College in Hartsville, SC. At Coker College, I learned how to not settle just for anything and never stop learning. These lessons brought me to my current step in life, my adventure to South Africa. So, I followed your plan because I wanted not to limit myself and one day ask that question “what if?” I wanted to dance, teach, market the dance world, and most importantly feel complete. The only way, I could feel completeness was to be fully connected to my roots. Now, I know my roots come from Zimbabwe but my late grandmother on my mother’s side had come from South Africa. When my mother was four years old, my grandmother passed away so I never got the pleasure of knowing her. Naturally, I felt not knowing my mother’s side of the family left a void in my heart. Fortunately, Sello Pesa, a choreographer, had given me an opportunity to fill this void. He has agreed to take me under his wing and go into training with him. Currently, he is the artistic director of Ntsoana Contemporary Dance Company. How did I meet him? Well…lets just say always keep in touch with important people that cross your paths. In my case, I had one important person, Professor Natty Mncube, he helped me get into the South African market. He was my past professor and mentor. When I told him my dream, he said it was possible but I was going to have to put in some work. So, we both made it happen. He sent out my resume to some of his trusted dancer friends and I put together a picture presentation of myself. It was a pretty long process but it worked. I know that this was not done on purpose because it was your plan for me. Now, you have me going to South Africa in less than two weeks and I would like to share with everyone this blessing, of the journey of finding myself. Dear God, here it is and I hope this will inspire someone that dreams really do come true……..

3 comments:

rapsc said...

Glad you have started this blog and look forward to hearing from you as you enter your professional world of dance in the new world of South Africa. Keep writing.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs. You are so very eloquent. I know you will go far in your career. Wishing you all the best. Love, Suzie Sutton

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs. You are so very eloquent. I know you will go far in your career. Wishing you all the best. Love, Suzie Sutton