Sunday, November 2, 2008

DEAR READERS: I AM JUST A SOUTHERN GAL

NOVEMBER 2, 2008

I am BLACK, Zimbabwean, South African, but most of all I am just a southern girl from South Carolina. I lived in Beaufort but I went to high school in a small private school in Ridgeland.

It was there where I grew up. Since the 5th grade I attended that school. I t was only till the 6th grade that I realized my difference from the rest of the class. I was the only BLACK person in the class. I realized it when a classmate of mine called me out of my name. You may imagine what he called me. For I have no reason to mention the name, you just need to picture my feelings at the time.

My feelings of always wanted to be accepted by my peers but never felt I was. Being around my pale friends all the time but judged by the people in my neighborhood. It was a split conflict for me. At the same time I was going through puberty.

It was only my senior year of high school that I felt accepted at my school. To my shock, I won homecoming queen. The first person I hugged was my mother’s late white best friend, Miss Missy. I called this woman my second mother and she had 5 boys at my school that were my brothers. With the bondage of her and my mother and my little brother and her youngest as friends, we are a big family. After Miss Missy passed I wondered if she knew how much it meant to me for her to recognize me as her daughter right in front of everybody. Especially, the people that was unsure of my presence at the school. It may not be a big deal to most but I was the first black to get this honor of Homecoming Queen.

I mention my experience now because I am realizing my high school days still have an affect on me. After four years, I realized it more in South Africa. I realize my content feeling of being a loner. In high school, I always felt like a loner because I felt no one got me. When I got to South Africa, I felt like the same lonely girl in high school.

This time it was not the color of my skin however my southern self. This was funny because I never been told about me having a southern accent. Even if I was raised by Zimbabwean parents; I am southern girl. Where did I become this? my small private school.

I learned to talk with a drag but I talk a little fast. Yea! Nobody understands my accent here. I say yes ma’am and sir out of respect. I always say ya’ll and most of all I am friendly. I am friendly but I use it as a dangerous weapon. I like to have parties by a fire with a small group of friends. I listen to country music because it reminds of everything. I still have my camouflage jacket in my closet. It was given to me by my friend.

As I walk barefoot through my apartment lot, I realize no matter where I go. I am just a southern country girl with big dreams. And this girl used her southern charm to possible get a second position at this bar. Being I only dance certain days, I need something else to consume my mind. Hopefully, it works out. So when the boss of the bar asks me: Can you tell me about yourself? I will answer I am just a southern gal with big dreams.


VOTE FOR OBAMA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sis! i love your drive! your different and that's unique and special...i wish i would have taken my love for dance to the next level, but you have, your doing it, making your dreams come true! i wish you the best in this new journey. Make the most of it and i will be stay tuning to your ride! love ya~

ebone~

Skerry said...

Insight and introspection are always good for the soul. I believe we should always be looking inward for validation from ourselves instead of outward for validation from others. Break-a-leg at the audition....you'll be great!! :) Big HUGS & Love!!