Wednesday, November 12, 2008

DEAR READERS: MY FAMILY IN SOUTH AFRICA

NOVEMBER 12, 2008

******************************************************************************************************************

FAMILY- Family denotes a group of people affiliated by consanguinity, affinity, or co-residence. Although the concept of consanguinity originally referred to relations by "blood," many anthropologists have argued that one must understand the notion of "blood" metaphorically, and that many societies understand 'family' through other concepts rather than through genetic distance. (www.wikapediaencylopedia)

*****************************************************************************************************************


As I arrived in South Africa, I realized my family here picked me up as I was down in emotions. It was not my blood related family. It was my family by choice.

*******************************************************************************************************************

MEET MY FATHER (artistic director Sello Pesa)
He was the only one that knew my intentions in South Africa. When I am in deep trouble; I go to him. And he has given me advice to only guide me through. But like all my parents he has to let me go to figure it out on my own.



MEET MY MOTHER (mother of the church)
She actually has many children amongst me. She has the blessing of being the mother of the church in Alexander’s townships.


In South Africa, the term township usually refers to the (often underdeveloped) urban living areas that, under Apartheid, were reserved for non-whites (principally black Africans and Coloureds, but also working class Indians). Townships were usually built on the periphery of towns and cities. (http://www.wikipediaencyclopedia.com/)

In addition to visiting mama, I often go to the townships to visit my best friend.



MEET MY BEST FRIEND- (work mate of dance company)
We met at the company that I dance at in South Africa. When I am down in emotions, his my self confidence, my drive, but most of all his made me feel at home in South Africa. He has welcomed me into his family, friends, and life. In fact, he was the one who introduced me to mama.

His my tour guide especially my tour guide of the taxis. In fact, the taxi drivers have become my brothers.

MEET MY BROTHERS-(the taxi drivers)
Like all siblings, we have a love/hate relationship. Before I knew the signs to stop the taxi drivers, they all use to wave at me and smile. They will tease me and just leave me. They were making me stronger because no brother has a need for their sister to be a sissy. When I finally figured it out, I realized the taxi drivers actually helping me with getting around. Also, I had sat in front one day and you know what that means. It was my job to distribute the taxi driver’s money to the passengers. Well, I messed up that day and I had come up short by 11 rans. I had felt awful and I tried given my own money to the driver, my brother. He had just smiled and he said, “NO”.

MEET MY FAMILY BY MARRIAGE- (the rest of South African people)
They are my extended family. In South Africa, the people here generally care about each other but they are also just trying to survive themselves. As I rode back home from Johannesburg City, I watched the people around me. Oh! In case you forgot, I am in the Gauteng providence in Craighall. Ok! back to what I was talking about. I actually stretched my head out to watch this driver in a BMW give their food to a beggar.

Oh! My reason for coming back from Johannesburg City was dance. Yea! I have been traveling back and forward everyday for this audition dance workshop. The audition was for this dance project in Germany. I had made it through the first cut but I did not make it through for the entire project. But I was still happy because I actually made it through the first cut. Hey! Maybe Germany was not for me. But I was still able to attend the rest of the workshop for classes.

I love attending the classes because the dancers and I had a chance to talk about our emotions. I found out the rest of the dancers were feeling the same insecurities about dance as I was. The talk had enlightened me. And I made new friends out it.

At the moment, I am counting my blessings and I am realizing my better days of hope. With my new family, I am making new friends, working out, reading more, working on bad eating habits. And of course……I am dancing my heart out. In fact, I am finding the movement with in me. Could you say choreographer in the making? Hold up! I know one dream at a time.

“YOU should control your own destiny.”

2 comments:

rapsc said...

that was fun, thanks for the introductins

rapsc said...

thanks for the introductions, they were fun.