Wednesday, July 8, 2009

DEAR MY BEST FRIEND

For years, we watched Sarafina and we both agreed to it being our favorite movie. However after all these years of watching that movie, I finally really got it. It was on the other night on DSTV (South African satellete television) and I really cried the whole movie. Even if I did tear up before, I really cried this time. Simply, I knew where Parktown was now. I felt how she felt visiting her mother in the suburbs working as a maid while they lived in the townships. I knew the looks that the people were given by the other race like they are nothing. Most of all, I felt the result to prayer because they are just tried of everything and they just hoping for their day to come. I FELT THAT BECAUSE I AM HERE IN SOUTH AFRICA NEARLY 14 YEARS LATER. Even if it has been settled through government, its still new of togetherness and people are really trying. There are people coming together but they are some people who just could never forget on both sides. Oh! best friend...you know my heart better than anyone and you know i operate on it always. To tell the truth, I believe my work in dance could contribute on bring togetherness by just simply raising the question. I went through racism in the states and now I am here. I know that I could not ever escape it. But it has been such a vital part in my life, I could at least try to give the chance of people having awareness to it. With an awareness, it gives room for change. To my best friend, I know that I could not change the entire world but I will try to change 3/4 of it. Thank you for still pushing me to my ultimate being!

No comments: